Saturday, November 23, 2019

Almost There!


Nov 21, 2109

As I write this Silas and I are on the plane on our way to Uganda to pick up Joseph. I have felt both excitement and anxiety as we have prepared, packed and paperworked in anticipation of this trip. But in keeping with the "p" theme I have truly felt peace as we look forward to the end of the adoption proceedings and the beginning of a new family life.

This past year Todd and I have definitely had some ups and down emotionally. We have both taken turns in wondering if this is really what God wants at times, and being excited and thankful that He has chosen us. When God first talked to me about adoption I felt like I was the one counting the cost and sobered and Todd was the one who was naturally emotionally excited and ready. Earlier this year, Todd was the one who had some hesitations, doubts and questions for God and it was his turn to count the cost while I felt certain and sure. Between the setbacks in the adoption, the travel and all the drama it entailed, we felt like we were on an emotional roller coaster.

What I am so thankful for now, is the peace that both Todd and I feel about what is ahead. God has brought us through hopes and doubts and questioning to a place of calm assurance that we are where He wants us to be and he is going to give us grace for what is ahead. Joseph is such a delightful person, with a huge smile, a clearly smart head and a body that needs medical care. We are excited about who he is, about his potential for learning and growing in health and education. We love his infectious laughter and we know that our love will only grow deeper. Our kids are so excited to know and love him too.

We are also happy about our family being complete. For the last 16 years or so I have been pregnant, nursing or expecting another, and then finally experiencing the process of adopting Joseph. Todd and I have been talking about how having our family complete is something that we are really looking forward to. Like a deep exhale at the end of a long uphill climb. We know that it isn't going to be all smooth sailing but we are looking forward to just "being" as a family. Just living instead of working toward something. I am thankful for our 7 kids including Nathan in heaven and am looking forward to just enjoying them for the few short years we have left before Maggie leaves the house. (When she's 30 right? I want to keep her as long as I can!)

Last Saturday we enjoyed the cumulation of months of planning and preparation for a fundraising dinner for Home of Hope. We have had several fundraisers over the past two and a half years, but because of what is ahead I felt like this one had so much significance and meaning for me. Todd and the other members of the board worked hard. Each one shared different aspects of Home of Hope, the work Edith has done, and the work for which each member of the board is responsible. When Todd shared about the difficulties that children with disabilities in Uganda experience and the hope that Home of Hope and God has brought to these children, along with the anticipation of bringing Joseph home, I don't think there was a dry eye in the room, including my own.

It felt like a beautiful mountaintop experience after 2 1/2 years of a lot of hard things. I know that like God promised Todd and I at our wedding, that there will be mountains and valleys in our journey ahead with Joseph. I know that there will be more hard things and more mountaintop experiences. We are at the end of a journey and the beginning of a new one and we know that God will be there and look forward to all He has for our family.

Just adding a little post-script. I didn't know there was such a thing as national adoption day until today. But guess what day it is? The day we arrived in Uganda to pick up Joseph. God continues to infuse Joseph story with meaning....

No comments: